So simple but so refreshing and delicious. A cucumber peeled lengthways in a big jug of icy water. Keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days, and keep topping it up! Add a slice of ginger and lemon rind to your Cucumber Water and serve with mint, lemon balm and basil. Add edible flowers such as borage, nasturtium, strawberry or rose petals. I occasionally add cardamom seeds, but then I would add cardamom to everything🙃. And, of course, you can also turn it into a mixer by adding sparkling water. Delicious with Gin!
Cucumbers are reputed to be high in antioxidants and nutrients but low in calories. If you want to rehydrate – especially sitting at your desk all day it makes a welcome change to water or any other tempting sugary drinks you may want to grab to get you through the day. You’ll find that after a couple of hours, the water tastes quite sweet, and for me, it does curb the sugary urge…..mid afternoon.
The recipe is below, but all you do is peel a cucumber (ideally organic) lengthways. Wash it well as you want to use all the cucumber, including the peel. You don’t need to de-seed it – only at the fatter end if there are too many seeds. Add the lemon rind or ginger and pack into a water jug with plenty of ice.
Ideally, please leave it in the fridge for an hour before using it so it’s well chilled and the cucumbers have had a chance to flavour the water. Pour over ice with edible flowers, herbs of your choice, a slice of lemon or naked – just as it is. You can add herbs to the jug; mint is ok, but the flowers don’t last so well, so it’s better to add them as you serve.
More drinks inspiration here😁😁
- 1 1½ litre jug
- 1 med-large cucumber
- 1 2-3 cm lemon peel
- 1 slice fresh ginger optional
- to serve; edible flowers such as borage, nasturtium, strawberry or rose petals optional
- to serve; mint, lemon balm or basil optional
- Wash the cucumber and then peel it into long strips
- Add the cucumber and the rest of the ingredients to a large water jug. One cucumber works well for a 1½ litre jug. Add a generous handful of ice and top with water.
- Cover a cool in the fridge for about an hour.
- Serve over ice with mint, edible flowers and a slice of lemon.
- Keep topping up the jug with ice and water. Lasts for up to three days in the fridge.